1. Obtain one of the data sets available at the UCI Machine Learning Repository and apply as many of the different visualization techniques described in the chapter as possible. The bibliographic notes and book Web site provide pointers to visualization software.
2. Identify at least two advantages and two disadvantages of using color to visually represent information.
a) Computer networks. Be sure to include both the static aspects of the network, such as connectivity, and the dynamic aspects, such as traﬃc.
b) The distribution of speciﬁc plant and animal species around the world fora speciﬁc moment in time.
c) The use of computer resources, such as processor time, main memory, and disk, for a set of benchmark database programs.
d) The change in occupation of workers in a particular country over the last thirty years. Assume that you have yearly information about each person that also includes gender and level of education.
Be sure to address the following issues:
· Representation. How will you map objects, attributes, and relation-ships to visual elements?
· Arrangement. Are there any special considerations that need to be taken into account with respect to how visual elements are displayed? Speciﬁc examples might be the choice of viewpoint, the use of transparency, or the separation of certain groups of objects.
· Selection. How will you handle a large number of attributes and data objects
6. Describe one advantage and one disadvantage of a stem and leaf plot with respect to a standard histogram.
7. How might you address the problem that a histogram depends on the number and location of the bins?
8. Describe how a box plot can give information about whether the value of an attribute is symmetrically distributed. What can you say about the symmetry of the distributions of the attributes shown in Figure 3.11?
9. Compare sepal length, sepal width, petal length, and petal width, using Figure3.12.
10. Comment on the use of a box plot to explore a data set with four attributes: age, weight, height, and income.
11. Give a possible explanation as to why most of the values of petal length and width fall in the buckets along the diagonal in Figure 3.9.
12. Use Figures 3.14 and 3.15 to identify a characteristic shared by the petal width and petal length attributes.
13. Simple line plots, such as that displayed in Figure 2.12 on page 56, which shows two time series, can be used to eﬀectively display high-dimensional data. For example, in Figure 2.12 it is easy to tell that the frequencies of the two time series are diﬀerent. What characteristic of time series allows the eﬀective visualization of high-dimensional data?
14. Describe the types of situations that produce sparse or dense data cubes. Illustrate with examples other than those used in the book.
15. How might you extend the notion of multidimensional data analysis so that the target variable is a qualitative variable? In other words, what sorts of summary statistics or data visualizations would be of interest?
16. Construct a data cube from Table 3.14. Is this a dense or sparse data cube? If it is sparse, identify the cells that are empty.
17. Discuss the diﬀerences between dimensionality reduction based on aggregation and dimensionality reduction based on techniques such as PCA and SVD.
Why Work with Us
Top Quality and Well-Researched Papers
We always make sure that writers follow all your instructions precisely. You can choose your academic level: high school, college/university or professional, and we will assign a writer who has a respective degree.
Professional and Experienced Academic Writers
We have a team of professional writers with experience in academic and business writing. Many are native speakers and able to perform any task for which you need help.
Free Unlimited Revisions
If you think we missed something, send your order for a free revision. You have 10 days to submit the order for review after you have received the final document. You can do this yourself after logging into your personal account or by contacting our support.
Prompt Delivery and 100% Money-Back-Guarantee
All papers are always delivered on time. In case we need more time to master your paper, we may contact you regarding the deadline extension. In case you cannot provide us with more time, a 100% refund is guaranteed.
Original & Confidential
We use several writing tools checks to ensure that all documents you receive are free from plagiarism. Our editors carefully review all quotations in the text. We also promise maximum confidentiality in all of our services.
24/7 Customer Support
Our support agents are available 24 hours a day 7 days a week and committed to providing you with the best customer experience. Get in touch whenever you need any assistance.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
No need to work on your paper at night. Sleep tight, we will cover your back. We offer all kinds of writing services.
No matter what kind of academic paper you need and how urgent you need it, you are welcome to choose your academic level and the type of your paper at an affordable price. We take care of all your paper needs and give a 24/7 customer care support system.
Admission Essays & Business Writing Help
An admission essay is an essay or other written statement by a candidate, often a potential student enrolling in a college, university, or graduate school. You can be rest assurred that through our service we will write the best admission essay for you.
Our academic writers and editors make the necessary changes to your paper so that it is polished. We also format your document by correctly quoting the sources and creating reference lists in the formats APA, Harvard, MLA, Chicago / Turabian.
If you think your paper could be improved, you can request a review. In this case, your paper will be checked by the writer or assigned to an editor. You can use this option as many times as you see fit. This is free because we want you to be completely satisfied with the service offered.