ACCT 324 Federal Tax Accounting I
Week 6 Discussion Questions
What property exchanges are taxable? Why do you think they are taxable?
Week 6 Discussion Question 2
What property exchanges are nontaxable? Why do you think they are nontaxable?
Week 6 Quiz
1. Question : (TCO 6) Alice owns land with an adjusted basis of $305,000, subject to a mortgage of $175,000. Real estate taxes are $4,500 per calendar year and are payable on December 31. On April 1, 2010, Alice sells her land subject to the mortgage for $325,000 in cash, a note for $300,000, and property with a fair market value of $60,000. What is the amount realized?
2. Question : (TCO 6) Katie sells her personal use automobile for $15,000. She purchased the car three years ago for $31,000. What is Katie’s recognized gain or loss?
3. Question : (TCO 6) The holding period of property acquired by gift may begin on:
4. Question : (TCO 6) Tobin inherited 100 acres of land on the death of his father in 2010. A federal estate tax return was filed, and the land was valued at $150,000 (its fair market value at the date of the death). The father had originally acquired the land in 1963 for $12,000 and, prior to his death, had made permanent improvements of $3,000. What is Tobin’s basis in the land?
5. Question : (TCO 6) The basis of personal use property converted to business use is:
6. Question : (TCO 6) If the taxpayer qualifies under § 1033 (nonrecognition of gain from an involuntary conversion), makes the appropriate election, and the amount reinvested in replacement property is less than the amount realized, then realized gain is:
7. Question : (TCO 11) A taxpayer receives stock as a gift from his uncle. The adjusted basis of the stock is $10,000 and the fair market value is $17,000. The taxpayer trades the stock for bonds with a fair market value of $15,000 and $2,000 cash. What is the taxpayer’s recognized gain and the basis for the bonds?
8. Question : (TCO 11) A taxpayer exchanges a warehouse for a building she will use as an office building. The adjusted basis of the warehouse is $600,000, and the fair market value of the office building is $350,000. In addition, the taxpayer receives cash of $150,000. What is the recognized gain or loss and the basis of the office building?
9. Question : (TCO 11) An office building with an adjusted basis of $320,000 was destroyed by fire on December 30, 2010. On January 11, 2011, the insurance company paid the owner $450,000. The fair market value of the building was $500,000, but under the coinsurance clause, the insurance company is responsible for only 90 percent of the loss. The owner reinvested $410,000 in a new office building that was smaller than the original office building. What is the recognized gain and the basis of the new building if § 1033 (nonrecognition of gain from an involuntary conversion) is elected?
10. Question : (TCO 11) Virginia, who is single, sells her principal residence (adjusted basis of $150,000) on January 5, 2010 for $380,000. She has owned and occupied it as her principal residence for 20 years. She incurs a realtor’s commission of $22,000 and legal fees of $5,000. On January 3, 2010, Virginia purchases a townhouse for $300,000 and uses it as her principal residence. Because it was not near a convenience store, she sells the townhouse on December 20, 2010 for $330,000. She incurs a realtor’s commission of $18,000 and legal fees of $4,000. She buys a house on December 1, 2010 for $250,000 and uses it as her principal residence. What is Virginia’s recognized gain on the sale of each house and her adjusted basis for the house purchased on December 1, 2010?
Why Work with Us
Top Quality and Well-Researched Papers
We always make sure that writers follow all your instructions precisely. You can choose your academic level: high school, college/university or professional, and we will assign a writer who has a respective degree.
Professional and Experienced Academic Writers
We have a team of professional writers with experience in academic and business writing. Many are native speakers and able to perform any task for which you need help.
Free Unlimited Revisions
If you think we missed something, send your order for a free revision. You have 10 days to submit the order for review after you have received the final document. You can do this yourself after logging into your personal account or by contacting our support.
Prompt Delivery and 100% Money-Back-Guarantee
All papers are always delivered on time. In case we need more time to master your paper, we may contact you regarding the deadline extension. In case you cannot provide us with more time, a 100% refund is guaranteed.
Original & Confidential
We use several writing tools checks to ensure that all documents you receive are free from plagiarism. Our editors carefully review all quotations in the text. We also promise maximum confidentiality in all of our services.
24/7 Customer Support
Our support agents are available 24 hours a day 7 days a week and committed to providing you with the best customer experience. Get in touch whenever you need any assistance.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
No need to work on your paper at night. Sleep tight, we will cover your back. We offer all kinds of writing services.
No matter what kind of academic paper you need and how urgent you need it, you are welcome to choose your academic level and the type of your paper at an affordable price. We take care of all your paper needs and give a 24/7 customer care support system.
Admission Essays & Business Writing Help
An admission essay is an essay or other written statement by a candidate, often a potential student enrolling in a college, university, or graduate school. You can be rest assurred that through our service we will write the best admission essay for you.
Our academic writers and editors make the necessary changes to your paper so that it is polished. We also format your document by correctly quoting the sources and creating reference lists in the formats APA, Harvard, MLA, Chicago / Turabian.
If you think your paper could be improved, you can request a review. In this case, your paper will be checked by the writer or assigned to an editor. You can use this option as many times as you see fit. This is free because we want you to be completely satisfied with the service offered.