To the Goddess of Music and Learning: The excerpt from “Sarasiruha”, CD 2:3, textbook pp. 201-207, gives a condensed idea of a typical performance.
1. (8) A music lesson for children learning Carnatic Music: Begin at Counter Number 1:36 Note the structure and form-repetition of the melody. These are similar to western music phrase form repetitions. Notice the music of India talas uneven groupings (4 + 2 + 2) counted out by the teacher. What did you learn about melodic structure from this video and process of learning? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5REvG_u4I_M
2. (5 pts) can you think of any method in our public schools that teaches children, through singing, how to preserve an American music tradition?
3. (20pts, 5 each) from the Simoncic lecture notes on Carnatic music, many music terms are highlighted
A: how is microtonal music compared to western12 note chromatic described?
B: What is an alapana and what parts might be similar to western music?
C. What is a drone and how similar is it to western music drones?
D. Where is there a drone sound in Sarasiruha? Use counter numbers.
4. (10 pts). How can you identify a drone in Chopin’s Mazurka? Chopin Mazurka drone section live piano :2:14 -2:27 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9MDJuKL3sA and Chopin Mazurka drone 1:56 – 2:06 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yz5nmuxAWpg
5. (8 pts) In the Chopin Mazurka, during the drone part the melody doesn’t sound “Western European”. Is it closer to Eastern European or Carnatic? Why?
6. A (3 pts each) The Melakarta is similar to what in western music?
B. What mridangam?
C. What is Veena
D. What is Kriti.
7. (10 pts) what part of Sarasiruha did you find most appealing, the Kriti 8:25, Kaplan svaras 14:45 or Tani avartanam 18:00…why. Please don’t write, “because I liked it or because I could relate to it”.
8. (20 pts) India has been influenced by Muslim music and music of the west, but the most interesting is the more recent influence from west “pop” culture. In 200 words or less, summarize the textbooks pages 187-190, Pop Music.
9. (10 pts) Our Wedding Song (Engal kalyanam) is marked with specific western music ideas. By using the “Close Listening” guide on page 190 and using counter numbers, point to at least two very strong western influences. Recording found in Course Resources.
10. (10 pts) Engal kalyanam also has an expanded form with beyond a pop song A, B, A. By using counter numbers, what has been added to A and B and how different (musically) is the new duet?
11. (10pts) this next video of Engal kalyanam is the same as the text book recording. In what way did the video help or hinder the understanding of this song and its format? Please be specific. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpDSEwPYu6w
12. (8pts) Watch this video of another Wedding Song, Kadavul Amaithu Vaitha – Aval Oru Thodarkathai Tamil Song – Kamal Hassan, Sujatha. Which one of the two wedding songs seems in keeping with traditional Carnatic music and why? You must supply counter numbers to defend your answer. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJQ-grJjRgU
13. (5pts) this lovely and more “pop” style song has a very familiar
14. (8) write a comment on at least one other students posting. If you do not address it to a specific student, no credit will be given.
Why Work with Us
Top Quality and Well-Researched Papers
We always make sure that writers follow all your instructions precisely. You can choose your academic level: high school, college/university or professional, and we will assign a writer who has a respective degree.
Professional and Experienced Academic Writers
We have a team of professional writers with experience in academic and business writing. Many are native speakers and able to perform any task for which you need help.
Free Unlimited Revisions
If you think we missed something, send your order for a free revision. You have 10 days to submit the order for review after you have received the final document. You can do this yourself after logging into your personal account or by contacting our support.
Prompt Delivery and 100% Money-Back-Guarantee
All papers are always delivered on time. In case we need more time to master your paper, we may contact you regarding the deadline extension. In case you cannot provide us with more time, a 100% refund is guaranteed.
Original & Confidential
We use several writing tools checks to ensure that all documents you receive are free from plagiarism. Our editors carefully review all quotations in the text. We also promise maximum confidentiality in all of our services.
24/7 Customer Support
Our support agents are available 24 hours a day 7 days a week and committed to providing you with the best customer experience. Get in touch whenever you need any assistance.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
No need to work on your paper at night. Sleep tight, we will cover your back. We offer all kinds of writing services.
No matter what kind of academic paper you need and how urgent you need it, you are welcome to choose your academic level and the type of your paper at an affordable price. We take care of all your paper needs and give a 24/7 customer care support system.
Admission Essays & Business Writing Help
An admission essay is an essay or other written statement by a candidate, often a potential student enrolling in a college, university, or graduate school. You can be rest assurred that through our service we will write the best admission essay for you.
Our academic writers and editors make the necessary changes to your paper so that it is polished. We also format your document by correctly quoting the sources and creating reference lists in the formats APA, Harvard, MLA, Chicago / Turabian.
If you think your paper could be improved, you can request a review. In this case, your paper will be checked by the writer or assigned to an editor. You can use this option as many times as you see fit. This is free because we want you to be completely satisfied with the service offered.