Week 3 Discussions and Required Resources
Part 1 and Part 2 must be at least 150 – 200 words unless otherwise
Part 1: Hypothesis Testing
There are strengths and weaknesses associated with the hypothesis testing procedure. For this discussion, begin by reviewing the concept of hypothesis testing in your textbook. Then, keeping this in mind, read the following quotes:
· “Your relevance as a data custodian is your ability to analyze and interpret it. If you can’t, your replacement is due.”—Wisdom Kwashie Mensah
· “Be careful of averages and how they’re applied. One way that they can fool you is if the average combines samples from disparate populations. This can lead to absurd observations such as: ‘On average, humans have one testicle.’”—Daniel J. Levitin, A Field Guide to Lies: Critical Thinking in the Information Age (2016)
· “How results that are not indicative of anything can be produced by pure chance—given a small enough number of cases—is something you can test for yourself at small Just start tossing a penny. How often will it come up heads? Half the time of course. Everyone knows that. Well, let’s check that and see…. I have just tried ten tosses and got heads eight times, which proves that pennies come up heads eighty percent of the time.”—Darrell Huff, How to Lie With Statistics (1954)
· “With enough mental gymnastics, just about any fact can become misshapen in favor to one’s confirmation bias.”—Criss Jami, Healology(2016)
· “A small sample, we repeat, is rarely the big scientific problem. Interpretation is.”—Stephen Thomas Ziliak, The Cult of Statistical Significance: How the Standard Error Costs Us Jobs, Justice, and Lives (2008)
· “We may at once admit that any inference from the particular to the general must be attended with some degree of uncertainty, but this is not the same as to admit that such inference cannot be absolutely rigorous, for the nature and degree of the uncertainty may itself be capable of rigorous expression.”—Sir Ronald Fisher
· “It is worth looking closer and remembering something Marcos Alvito told me: Statistics are like a bikini. They show so much, but they hide the most important parts.”—Dave Zirin, Brazil’s Dance With the Devil: The World Cup, the Olympics, and the Struggle for Democracy (2014)
Based on the above quotes, along with this week’s assigned readings and Instructor Guidance, discuss why hypothesis testing is important in research.
Part 2: Examples of Hypothesis Testing in Research
Locate an example of a research study that uses hypothesis testing. Explain whether the study describes its hypothesis testing procedure explicitly or implicitly, based on the explanations in the Methodology section. Finally, discuss what this statistical technique allowed the researchers to accomplish and/or conclude in the study.
· Chapter 7: Continuous Probability Distributions
· Chapter 8: Sampling Methods and the Central Limit Theorem
· Chapter 10: One-Sample Tests of Hypothesis
Lind, D. A., Marchal, W. G., & Wathen, S. A. (2017). Statistical techniques in business and economics. (17th ed.). Retrieved from http://connect.mheducation.com/class/
· Chapter 5: A Survey of Probability Concepts
· Chapter 6: Discrete Probability Distributions
Why Work with Us
Top Quality and Well-Researched Papers
We always make sure that writers follow all your instructions precisely. You can choose your academic level: high school, college/university or professional, and we will assign a writer who has a respective degree.
Professional and Experienced Academic Writers
We have a team of professional writers with experience in academic and business writing. Many are native speakers and able to perform any task for which you need help.
Free Unlimited Revisions
If you think we missed something, send your order for a free revision. You have 10 days to submit the order for review after you have received the final document. You can do this yourself after logging into your personal account or by contacting our support.
Prompt Delivery and 100% Money-Back-Guarantee
All papers are always delivered on time. In case we need more time to master your paper, we may contact you regarding the deadline extension. In case you cannot provide us with more time, a 100% refund is guaranteed.
Original & Confidential
We use several writing tools checks to ensure that all documents you receive are free from plagiarism. Our editors carefully review all quotations in the text. We also promise maximum confidentiality in all of our services.
24/7 Customer Support
Our support agents are available 24 hours a day 7 days a week and committed to providing you with the best customer experience. Get in touch whenever you need any assistance.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
No need to work on your paper at night. Sleep tight, we will cover your back. We offer all kinds of writing services.
No matter what kind of academic paper you need and how urgent you need it, you are welcome to choose your academic level and the type of your paper at an affordable price. We take care of all your paper needs and give a 24/7 customer care support system.
Admission Essays & Business Writing Help
An admission essay is an essay or other written statement by a candidate, often a potential student enrolling in a college, university, or graduate school. You can be rest assurred that through our service we will write the best admission essay for you.
Our academic writers and editors make the necessary changes to your paper so that it is polished. We also format your document by correctly quoting the sources and creating reference lists in the formats APA, Harvard, MLA, Chicago / Turabian.
If you think your paper could be improved, you can request a review. In this case, your paper will be checked by the writer or assigned to an editor. You can use this option as many times as you see fit. This is free because we want you to be completely satisfied with the service offered.