1. A testable explanation of a broad range of related phenomena that is relied upon by scientists with a high degree of confidence is referred to as ________. (Points : 5)
2. The smaller unit molecules (monomers) which combine to form proteins and polypeptides are called ____________. (Points : 5)
3. Enzymes, some hormones, and structural molecules like keratin and collagen are examples of ______________. (Points : 5)
4. An atom that has gained or lost electrons is referred to as _______________. (Points : 5)
5. Cell membranes consist of _____________. (Points : 5)
a complex carbohydrate webbing
a flexible sheet of protein
a network of microfilaments and microtubules
a double layer of phospholipids
6. Which of the following transport mechanisms requires ATP to move materials across a plasma membrane? (Points : 5)
7. A cell is placed in a solution. If the cell is observed to shrink, the solution must be _________________ relative to the interior of the cell. (Points : 5)
8. Consider the following two statements:
(1) ” Energy can neither be created nor destroyed, but it can be changed in form.”
(2) “If energy changes form, the change is never 100% efficient.”
(Points : 5)
These statements are expressions of the 1st and 2nd energy laws.
These statements don’t apply to any cells.
These statements are both false.
These statements apply only to eukaryotic (higher) cells.
9. The part of an enzyme that “fits” its substrate is called its __________ site. (Points : 5)
10. In higher cells, cellular (aerobic) respiration with production of adenosine triphosphate (ATP) is carried out in the _______________. (Points : 5)
11. Meiosis differs from mitosis because _______________. (Points : 5)
meiosis results in diploid daughter cells
meiosis involves two cell divisions
DNA replicates before the start of meiosis
meiosis occurs all over the human body
12. Leaves are green because ____________. (Points : 5)
carotenoids absorb green light
carotenoids reflect green light
chlorophylls a and b absorb green light
chlorophylls a and b reflect green light
13. Many human traits such as eye color and height are controlled by _______________. (Points : 5)
14. ______________ is a nucleic acid base found in ribonucleic acid (RNA) but not in deoxyribonucleic acid (DNA). (Points : 5)
15. Which of the following is not a possible outcome of recombinant deoxyribonucleic acid (rDNA) technology? (Points : 5)
mass production of human hormones by bacteria
estimating the age of a rock sample
increasing the production of hardier crops
correcting a human disease
16. The polymerase chain reaction (PCR) is a method of ________________. (Points : 5)
speeding up the production of mRNA proteins
making multiple identical copies of small amounts of DNA
decoding the nucleotide sequence of a gene
17. Which of the following is most likely to cause a cell to become cancerous? (Points : 5)
mutation of a tumor supressor gene
18. The normal complement of sex chromosomes for a human male is ___________. (Points : 5)
19. An allele is ____________. (Points : 5)
an alternate form of a gene
a gene found on different chromosomes (e.g., on chromosome numbers 1 and 5)
a gene located at two different positions on the same chromosome
a sex cell
20. A visual display of metaphase chromosomes arranged by size, shape, and banding pattern is ______. (Points : 5)
a genetic disorder
Why Work with Us
Top Quality and Well-Researched Papers
We always make sure that writers follow all your instructions precisely. You can choose your academic level: high school, college/university or professional, and we will assign a writer who has a respective degree.
Professional and Experienced Academic Writers
We have a team of professional writers with experience in academic and business writing. Many are native speakers and able to perform any task for which you need help.
Free Unlimited Revisions
If you think we missed something, send your order for a free revision. You have 10 days to submit the order for review after you have received the final document. You can do this yourself after logging into your personal account or by contacting our support.
Prompt Delivery and 100% Money-Back-Guarantee
All papers are always delivered on time. In case we need more time to master your paper, we may contact you regarding the deadline extension. In case you cannot provide us with more time, a 100% refund is guaranteed.
Original & Confidential
We use several writing tools checks to ensure that all documents you receive are free from plagiarism. Our editors carefully review all quotations in the text. We also promise maximum confidentiality in all of our services.
24/7 Customer Support
Our support agents are available 24 hours a day 7 days a week and committed to providing you with the best customer experience. Get in touch whenever you need any assistance.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
No need to work on your paper at night. Sleep tight, we will cover your back. We offer all kinds of writing services.
No matter what kind of academic paper you need and how urgent you need it, you are welcome to choose your academic level and the type of your paper at an affordable price. We take care of all your paper needs and give a 24/7 customer care support system.
Admission Essays & Business Writing Help
An admission essay is an essay or other written statement by a candidate, often a potential student enrolling in a college, university, or graduate school. You can be rest assurred that through our service we will write the best admission essay for you.
Our academic writers and editors make the necessary changes to your paper so that it is polished. We also format your document by correctly quoting the sources and creating reference lists in the formats APA, Harvard, MLA, Chicago / Turabian.
If you think your paper could be improved, you can request a review. In this case, your paper will be checked by the writer or assigned to an editor. You can use this option as many times as you see fit. This is free because we want you to be completely satisfied with the service offered.